- Operation Enduring Freedom
- Operation Freedom’s Sentinel
- Operation Inherent Resolve
- Operation Iraqi Freedom
- Operation New Dawn
- Operation Odyssey Lightning
- U.S. Africa Command Operations
- U.S. Central Command operations
- The People Behind The Sacrifice
Army Spc. James L. Beckstrand
Died April 29, 2004 Serving During Operation Iraqi Freedom
27, of Escondido, Calif.; assigned to 4th Battalion, 27th Field Artillery Regiment, 1st Armored Division, Baumholder, Germany; one of eight soldiers killed April 29 by a car bomb as his unit was doing a dismounted improvised-explosive device-sweep in Baghdad.
Beckstrand was born in Reno, Nev., and grew up in Escondido, Calif. He served in the Marine Corps from September 1995 to September 1999, then joined the Army in December 2000.
He is survived by his wife, Marilena, and his parents, J.L. Beckstrand and Kathleen Genoway.