Military Times
Honor The Fallen
Honoring those who fought and died in Operation Enduring Freedom, Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation New Dawn
Search Our Database


Bookmark and Share

Army 1st Lt. Timothy W. Cunningham

Died April 23, 2008 Serving During Operation Iraqi Freedom

26, of College Station, Texas; assigned to the 1st Squadron, 32nd Cavalry Regiment, 1st Brigade Combat Team, 101st Airborne Division (Air Assault), Fort Campbell, Ky.; died April 23 in Balad, Iraq, of injuries sustained in a vehicle incident.

Three Fort Campbell soldiers killed in two days

The Associated Press

FORT CAMPBELL, Ky. — Three Fort Campbell-based soldiers, including one from Georgia, have been killed in two days in Iraq in separate incidents, according to the Department of Defense.

The Army says staff Sgt. Shaun J. Whitehead was struck and killed by a bomb while patrolling on foot in Iskandariyah on Thursday. Whitehead, 25, from Commerce, Ga., was assigned to A Company, 2nd Battalion, 502nd Infantry Regiment, 2nd Brigade Combat Team.

The day before Whitehead’s death, John T. Bishop, 22, of Gaylord, Mich., and 1st Lt. Timothy W. Cunningham, 26, of College Station, Texas, died in Golden Hills, Iraq, from injuries suffered when their vehicle rolled into a canal. The deaths are under investigation.

Both were assigned to C Troop, 1st Squadron, 32nd Cavalry Regiment, 1st Brigade Combat Team, 101st Airborne Division.

Including the three deaths, six soldiers from the base on the Tennessee-Kentucky state line have died in the last week.

Whitehead entered the Army in September 2003. He is survived by his wife, Brenda, a son and a daughter, all of Fort Campbell, and his mother, Rebecca Whitehead, of Maysville, Ga.

Whitehead attended Commerce High School and joined the Army in 2003, the Athens Banner-Herald reported.

“He was a nice young man. Didn’t get into trouble, a nice kid,” Commerce High School counselor Elaine Roller told the newspaper.

His funeral is being handled by Evans Funeral Home in Jefferson.

Cunningham joined the Army in May 2006 and came to Fort Campbell in April 2007. The infantry officer completed U.S. Army Ranger school and earned a Parachutist Badge. He is survived by his wife, daughter and parents.

Bishop, an infantryman, joined the Army in August 2006 and came to Fort Campbell in January 2007. He earned several awards, including the Army Good Conduct Medal and the Expert Infantry Badge. He is survived by his wife and parents.

* * * * *

Army 1st Lt. Timothy W. Cunningham remembered

The Associated Press

Timothy W. Cunningham and his brother loved going to school and would look for efficient ways to get there on time.

“I walked into their room one night and both boys were lying on top of their bedspreads, fully dressed, lying very still with their hands by their sides,” said their mother, Cindy.

“When I asked what was up, they both told me that they talked it over and figured out that they could get extra sleep and get to school sooner if they dressed the night before and didn’t have to make their beds.”

Cunningham, 26, who grew up in Alvin, Texas, died April 23 of injuries from a vehicle accident in Golden Hills, Iraq. He was assigned to Fort Campbell.

“He was the young man that every dad wishes his daughter would marry,” said the Rev. Alfred Perry.

He graduated high school in 2000 and received a nuclear engineering degree from the U.S. Military Academy. “He was a great kid who did everything he was supposed to do,” said Ricky Hassell, his former principal.

He is survived by his wife, Samantha, and his 1-year-old daughter, Abigail.

“If I could sum up Tim’s life, it would be that he lived all out,” said his mother.

View By Year & Month

2002   2001

Military Times
© 2018 Sightline Media Group
Not A U.S. Government Publication