Military Times
Honor The Fallen
Honoring those who fought and died in Operation Enduring Freedom, Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation New Dawn
Search Our Database


Bookmark and Share

Army Chief Warrant Officer 2 Corry A. Edwards

Died September 17, 2008 Serving During Operation Iraqi Freedom

38, of Kennedale, Texas; assigned to the 2nd Battalion, 149th Aviation Regiment, Task Force 34, Texas Army National Guard, Grand Prairie, Texas; died Sept. 17 when the CH-47 Chinook helicopter he was in went down in the vicinity of Tallil, Iraq. Also killed were Sgt. Daniel M. Eshbaugh, Sgt. Anthony L. Mason, 1st Sgt. Julio C. Ordonez, Chief Warrant Officer 3 Brady J. Rudolf, Cpl. Michael E. Thompson and 1st Lt. Robert Vallejo II.

Pentagon IDs 4 Texans killed in chopper crash

The Associated Press

DALLAS — Seven National Guardsmen — including four from Texas — were on their way from Kuwait to Balad to join their unit last week when their helicopter crashed in Iraq, the Texas National Guard said Monday.

The four Texans killed in Thursday’s crash were: Chief Warrant Officer Corry A. Edwards, 38, of Kennedale; Sgt. Anthony L. Mason, 37, of Springtown; 1st Sgt. Julio C. Ordonez, 54, of San Antonio; and 1st Lt. Robert Vallejo II, 28, of Richland Hills.

Three soldiers from the Oklahoma National Guard were also died.

“As we grieve with so many in our community over this extremely unfortunate news, our thoughts and prayers go out to the families of these citizen-soldiers,” said Lt. Gen. Charles G. Rodriguez, adjutant general of the Texas National Guard.

The soldiers had been called to active duty on June 5. After completing two-and-a-half months of training at Fort Sill, Okla. the soldiers were deployed to Kuwait on Aug. 24, the Texas National Guard said in a news release.

The CH-47 Chinook was flying in a four-helicopter formation from Kuwait to the U.S. military base at Balad when it crashed about 60 miles west of Basra. Military officials say they suspect a mechanical malfunction.

The soldiers were assigned to the 2nd Battalion, 149th Aviation Regiment, Task Force 34, Texas Army National Guard in Grand Prairie.

Vallejo, a pilot who was posthumously promoted to captain, is survived by his wife Hillary Ann. He joined the National Guard in April 1999.

Edwards, posthumously promoted to chief warrant officer 2, is survived by his wife, Nanette, and sons, Killian Hunter and Logan Samuel. Edwards joined the military in December 1992. From June 2003 to April 2004, he served in Bosnia-Herzegovina.

Mason, posthumously promoted to staff sergeant, is survived by his wife, Melanie Laree, and daughters, Ashley Nicole, Jamie Rosalee and Megan Irene.

Mason, who also served in Iraq from February 2003 to September 2003, joined the Texas Army National Guard last year. He attended basic training and advanced individual training to become a helicopter engineer.

Ordonez, posthumously promoted to sergeant major, is survived by his wife Leticia, sons Julio and Jacob, and daughters Joyce and Judith. Ordonez, born in Honduras, joined the military in April 1982. Before joining the Texas Army National Guard, he served with HHC, 6-112th in Arkansas as a helicopter engineer, the Texas National Guard said.

CWO recalled as ‘every officer’s wish come true’

The Associated Press

Maj. Allen Richards will miss Chief Warrant Officer Corry A. Edwards’ humor and laughter.

“As a leader in the Army, you are every officer’s wish come true and I could not think of anyone better as my crew chief,” Richards wrote on an online bulletin board. “I will miss your friendship.”

Edwards, 38, of Kennedale, Texas, was killed Sept. 18 when his helicopter went down near Tallil. He was a 1988 high school graduate and was assigned to Grand Prairie, Texas.

“Corry valued integrity and lead his life in such a way so as to impress on his sons to be honorable men. His loving charm captured the hearts of everyone,” his family wrote in tribute.

He earned his paramedic certification in 1994 and had been employed since 1997 at the Dallas Army Aviation Support Facility.

He served in Bosnia-Herzegovina from 2003-04. He is survived by his wife, Nannette, and his two sons, Killian, 9, and Logan, 7.

While his wife preferred to keep her remembrances of her husband private, she did want to thank her community. “I would like to thank each and every person who has poured out their hearts and resources to myself and our family,” she wrote.

View By Year & Month

2002   2001

Military Times
© 2018 Sightline Media Group
Not A U.S. Government Publication