Military Times
Honor The Fallen
Honoring those who fought and died in Operation Enduring Freedom, Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation New Dawn
Search Our Database


Bookmark and Share

Army Maj. Horst G. Moore

Died November 9, 2004 Serving During Operation Iraqi Freedom

38, of San Antonio; assigned to 1st Battalion, 24th Infantry Regiment, 1st Brigade, 25th Infantry Division (Stryker Brigade Combat Team), Fort Lewis, Wash.; killed Nov. 9 when enemy mortar rounds detonated within his unit living area in Mosul, Iraq.

Texan reported killed in Iraq

By Lynn Brezosky

Associated Press

LOS FRESNOS, Texas — A German-born Army officer from the Rio Grande Valley was among five Texans killed in action in Iraq this week.

Maj. Horst Gerhard Moore, 38, died Tuesday under mortar fire in the northern city of Mosul, said his wife, Raquel Vallejo-Moore.

The Department of Defense also confirmed the deaths of Army Sgt. John B. Trotter, 25, of Marble Falls and Staff Sgt. Russell Slay, 28, of Humble, both killed in action Tuesday in Iraq’s Anbar province, which includes the insurgent stronghold of Fallujah.

The Defense Department also said Spc. Travis Babbitt, 24, of Uvalde, died Tuesday when his patrol came under fire in Baghdad.

Meanwhile, family members confirmed the death of Marine Staff Sgt. Gene Ramirez, 27, of Lytle.

Moore, known to friends as Gary, was part of the 2nd Infantry Division out of Fort Lewis, Wash. He left for Iraq in September on a 14-month deployment.

Vallejo-Moore described her husband as a career soldier whose 16 years of service started right after high school and was interrupted only while he pursued a college degree.

“He was one of those patriotic individuals who loved serving his country,” she said.

Moore was born to a military family in Berlin and was raised in Oklahoma. He met his wife while at St. Mary’s University in San Antonio.

When he was home, he loved to spend time with her and their 2-year-old daughter, she said. He also loved to work on his old trucks.

She said they last spoke Sunday night, when he called to wish her a happy 34th birthday.

“It was 3 a.m. over there, but he stayed up all that night to make sure he could call at a decent time,” she said. “He was a dedicated father and husband, a positive individual.”

View By Year & Month

2002   2001

Military Times
© 2018 Sightline Media Group
Not A U.S. Government Publication