Military Times
Honor The Fallen
Honoring those who fought and died in Operation Enduring Freedom, Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation New Dawn
Search Our Database


Bookmark and Share

Army Sgt. Adam D. Quinn

Died October 6, 2007 Serving During Operation Enduring Freedom

22, of Orange City, Fla.; assigned to Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 82nd Airborne Division, Fort Bragg, N.C.; died Oct. 6 at Forward Operating Base Phoenix, near Bagram, Afghanistan, of wounds sustained when an improvised explosive device detonated near his vehicle.

82nd paratroopers die in Iraq, Afghanistan

The Associated Press

FORT BRAGG, N.C. — Two paratroopers from the 82nd Airborne Division died last week in Iraq and Afghanistan, the division said Oct. 9.

Sgt. Adam D. Quinn, 22, of Orange City, Fla., died Oct. 6 from injuries sustained when a car bomb blew up near his vehicle near Kabul, Afghanistan. Quinn, a computer systems specialist who joined the division in 2004, was a member of the division’s Headquarters and Headquarters Company.

“Quinn was extremely popular and respected by his peers and superiors alike,” said his company commander, Capt. Eric Von Fischer-Benzon. “To him, nothing was a bother and helping out a fellow soldier or civilian was a genuine pleasure for him.”

Quinn is survived by his wife, Faye Quinn, of Guthrie, Okla., and his parents, Charles and Sherri Quinn, both from Orange City. The division plans a memorial service in Afghanistan.

“It’s just so overwhelming right now,” said Quinn’s aunt, Carla Rebres, adding that his wife is five months pregnant with the couple’s first child. She said relatives had no further comment at the moment and were just beginning to cope with the loss.

Spc. Vincent G. Kamka, 23, of Everett, Wash., died Oct. 4 in Bayji, Iraq. He was a member of the 1st Battalion, 505th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 3rd Brigade Combat Team. Kamka’s death is under investigation and details aren’t yet being released, said division spokeswoman Sgt. Jacqueline Pryor.

Oklahoman loses soldier husband in Afghanistan

The Associated Press

OKLAHOMA CITY — With the explosion of a bomb, Faye Quinn went from being a married soldier and expectant mother to a widow and future single parent.

The Edmond native, whose baby is due in March, found out Oct. 6 that her husband, Cpl. Adam D. Quinn was killed Oct. 6 in Afghanistan when an improvised explosive device detonated near his vehicle.

Adam Quinn, 22, of Orange City, Fla., was deployed to Afghanistan in January with the Army’s 82nd Airborne Division.

“He had a wonderful sense of humor. He was so funny,” Faye Quinn, herself a member of the Oklahoma National Guard, told The Oklahoman by telephone from Florida. “He was really excited, very proud to be a father.”

Faye Quinn was with her husband’s parents, Sherri and Charles Quinn, on Oct. 9 but had been staying with family in Oklahoma since her husband’s deployment.

“I’m not sure of future plans right now,” she said.

Faye Quinn was scheduled to deploy to Iraq with the 45th Infantry Brigade in January, but that was canceled when she found out she was pregnant shortly after her husband came home on leave in June. She is a specialist with the 700th Support Battalion, but is in the process of leaving the Guard.

Faye Quinn enlisted in the Oklahoma National Guard when she was 17 and still attending Edmond North High School. She graduated in 2003 and married Adam Quinn in December 2005.

The couple met in November 2003 at job training. Faye Quinn said she immediately noticed Adam.

Her husband, a paratrooper and an automation specialist with his division, always stressed the importance of enjoying life, Faye Quinn said, and even had the words “eat, drink and be merry” tattooed on one wrist and “for tomorrow we may die” on the other.

A memorial ceremony for Quinn will be held in Afghanistan, the Defense Department said.

View By Year & Month

2002   2001

Military Times
© 2018 Sightline Media Group
Not A U.S. Government Publication