Military Times
Honor The Fallen
Honoring those who fought and died in Operation Enduring Freedom, Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation New Dawn
Search Our Database


Bookmark and Share

Marine Capt. Kyle R. Van De Giesen

Died October 26, 2009 Serving During Operation Enduring Freedom

29, of North Attleborough Mass.; assigned to Marine Light Attack Helicopter Squadron 169, Marine Aircraft Group 39, 3rd Marine Aircraft Wing, I Marine Expeditionary Force, Camp Pendleton, Calif.; died Oct. 26 at FOB Dwyer, Afghanistan, after a collision between a UH-1 and an AH-1 helicopter in Helmand province. Also killed were Cpl. Gregory M.W. Fleury, Capt. Eric A. Jones and Capt. David S. Mitchell.

Fallen helo pilot remembered by college

The Associated Press

MANCHESTER, N.H. — A Marine helicopter pilot from Massachusetts who died in Afghanistan is being honored at Saint Anselm College.

Capt. Kyle Van De Giesen of North Attleborough, Mass., is a former student and starting quarterback on the Catholic college’s football team.

He was remembered with a prayer and a moment of silence before the Oct. 31 home game against the University of New Haven.

The field was painted with a red, white and blue ribbon as well as Van De Giesen’s uniform number, 12. The Marine motto “Semper Fi” is also being added to the field.

The initials KV will be added to the team’s helmets.

The 29-year-old Van De Giesen was one of 14 Americans killed Monday in a pair of helicopter crashes. He leaves behind a pregnant wife and young daughter.

Hometown remembers fallen Marine

The Associated Press

NORTH ATTLEBOROUGH, Mass. — A fallen Marine is being honored in his hometown.

A public candlelight vigil in memory of Marine helicopter pilot Capt. Kyle Van De Giesen is scheduled for Nov. 5 in North Attleborough.

The vigil is being held at Community Field, where the 29-year-old Van De Giesen led the local high school football team to many victories. The team’s former starting quarterback helped lead the North Attleborough High Red Rocketeers to the postseason in 1997.

A funeral service at St. Mary’s Church and processional around the town are scheduled for Friday, to be followed by burial at the Massachusetts National Cemetery in Bourne.

Van De Giesen died Oct. 26 in a helicopter crash. He leaves behind his pregnant wife and an 18-month-old daughter.

View By Year & Month

2002   2001

Military Times
© 2018 Sightline Media Group
Not A U.S. Government Publication